This blog has been created for a class at Biola University titled "Religion, Media, and Culture." The class operates under the premise that the pursite of God involves one's culture of upbringing, one's ethnicity and one's cultural narrative. This blog will investigate the media through which different people pursue God.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Prayer and Reflection

I notice that a lot of the attendees of mass are elderly. As I was praying, a word that came to mind was "respect." I ought to show a lot of respect for Gordon. He's 85 years old. I think that he chooses to believe that I am seriously thinking about converting to Catholicism while I continue to mention that I am observing for class; however, an interest in the doctrines of Catholicism has been sparked in my mind. There is a part of me that feels that I should be thinking about the fun of the weekend and not thinking about differences between Catholics and Protestants. This is what most young people are thinking about. That's why you won't see them at mass. It seems like the older you get, the more inclined you are to "get religion" as the possibility of death becomes greater. Maybe this is why mainly old folks are at mass. Hopefully visiting the Catholic church will help me to clarify my beliefs while I talk to mentors and teachers at Biola to gain a clear understanding of different church doctrines. I pray that this is wise and not vain.

There is a sense of reverence in the Catholic church. I pray that I treat my walk with Christ with a greater sense of reverence and place my focus on him, not on rituals. I am actually going to visit again soon, not for class. I pray that God would give me prudence as I further investigate Catholic beliefs. I also pray that God will continue to show me ways in which other people perceive him so that I can gain a greater understanding, and hopefully a truthful understanding of Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment